111 anos de vida! Lello &Irmão

(SCROLL DOWN FOR THE TEXT IN ENGLISH)

Esta sexta-feira 13 de 2017, foi de longe um dia de azar para um estabelecimento em particular na cidade do Porto. A livraria Lello & Irmão celebra hoje os seu 111 anos! Muitos parabéns!!!

Esta livraria já foi tema do meu blog, aliás foi uma das primeiras entradas, mas é tão especial que vale a pena de escrever novamente sobre ela, sobretudo com esta celebração especial.

Durante os últimos anos, no contexto do crescente boom turístico do Porto, tive o privilégio de assistir à forma que a livraria se tem adaptado às exigências de um novo público emergente – o turista. Homens de mulheres vindos de todas as partes do mundo entravam na livraria, maravilhavam-se com o seu esplendor, tiravam fotografias e as selfies obrigatórias e saíam, sem comprar um único livro.

Começou-se a cobrar só para grupos de excursões em forma de um marcador para livros, pois enchiam a casa em segundos. Porém a maré de turistas não parava de entrar e as correntes de fotografia de férias continuava a não vender livros. De facto, todos os livros da loja eram de língua Portuguesa, existindo apenas um cantinho, uma muito tímida prateleirinha com livros em Inglês e talvez uma ou outra raridade em Francês ou Espanhol. Recentemente o tradicionalismo português decidiu acompanhar as mudanças do mundo moderno.

Passou-se a cobrar 3 euros de entrada para toda a gente, sem excepção, na forma de um voucher, cujo valor é descontado na compra de … nada mais – um livro! Agora, os turistas já encontram muitos livros nas línguas globais, ou seja, Inglês, Francês e Espanhol, de escritores contemporâneos e de obras traduzidas de escritores Portugueses.

Resultado final? No ano 2016, contaram-se mais de 1 milhão de visitantes! Apenas 35% terão comprado livros e, por conseguinte, venderam-se 357.000 livros! 5 vezes mais do que no ano anterior! O objectivo do administrador da Lello & Irmão é transformar os outros 65% em novos leitores.

Hoje houve festa na livraria com música Rap e outros eventos. Já Camões dizia. Mudam-se os tempos, mudam-se as vontades. A Lello & Irmão tem-se adaptado às mudanças, mas mantém-se fiel à sua função – criar leitores.

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/sociedade/porto/livraria-lello-faz-111-anos-e-celebra-um-milhao-de-visitantes-em-2016

This Friday the 13th, 2017, was by far a day of bad luck for a particular establishment in the city of Porto. The Lello & Irmão Bookstore celebrates today its 111th anniversary ! Congratulations!!!

This bookstore has already been theme of my blog, in fact it was one of the first entries, but it is so special that it is worth writing again about it, especially with this  celebration.

During the last few years, in the context of Porto’s growing tourist boom, I had the privilege of watching the way the bookstore has adapted itself to the demands of a new emerging public – the tourist. Men and women from all over the world would enter the bookstore, marvel at it’s splendor, take pictures, selfies, and leave without buying a single book.

It started charging only for excursions groups in the form of book markers, because they filled the house in seconds. But the tide of tourists kept coming in and the currents of holiday photography still did not sell books. In fact, all the books in the store were Portuguese, having only one corner, one very shy shelf with books in English and perhaps a rarity in French or Spanish. Recently Portuguese traditionalism has decided to follow the changes of the modern world.

Now there is a charge of 3 euros for everyone, without exception, in the form of a voucher, the value of which is deducted from the purchase of … you guessed right – a book! Now, tourists already find many books in the global languages, namely English, French and Spanish, contemporary writers and translated works of Portuguese writers.

Final results? In the year 2016, there were more than 1 million visitors! Only 35% bought books and therefore 357,000 books have been sold! 5 times more than the previous year! The goal of the Lello & Irmão’s administrator is to turn the other 65% into new readers.

Today there was a party at the bookstore with Rap music and other events. Camões was already used to say. The times changes, the will changes. Lello & Brother has adapted to changes, but stays true to its function – to create readers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s